Benefits = Higher level of engagement and ownership by students, application of content, community connection
Pitfalls = Time/coverage, unfamiliarity, not suited for math, administrators push back, different styles.
We discussed each of these in terms of what the students have experienced thus far in the UTeach program.
Further discussion was focused around the following:
– Several equated manager w/ not wanting to see students struggle.
– Need more experience before PBL
– I feel most comfortable w/ direct teach.
– Still skeptical since experience is with conventional model
– PBL only with skilled students (mastered the basics)
– I’m willing to put in the time
This discussion will be continued on Friday. Sept. 4