Begin with the End in Mind
· What is a driving question?
– At the heart of a discipline or topic.
– Developed from real world dilemmas/issues that are relevant.
– Consistent with curricular standards.
· What do student deliverables look like?
– asking and refining questions
– debating ideas
– making predictions
– designing plans and/or experiments
– collecting and analyzing data
– drawing conclusions
– communicating their ideas and findings to others
– asking new questions
– creating artifacts (Blumenfeld et al., 1991).
· Two Key Elements of PBI:
– A driving question or problem that serves to organize and drive activities, which taken as a whole amount to a meaningful project
– 2. Culminating product(s) or multiple representations as a series of artifacts, personal communication (Krajcik), or consequential task that meaningfully addresses the driving question. (Brown & Campione, 1994).